There is a wonderful feeling of awe when baking your own bread. Even if it is your first time or your thousand, there is always that beautiful excitement in the first bite.
We bring you a simple recipe to create your own english muffins!
When you are done, you can then try one of the three delicious recipes below. They are perfect for breakfasts and brunches.
7 g sachet dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 1/4 cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/3 cups of lukewarm milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
40 g of melted butter
- Lightly dust two 32 x 28 cm baking trays with flour.
- Put the yeast, sugar, 1 teaspoon of flour and 1/4 cup of warm water in a small bowl and mix well.
- Leave in a warm place for 10 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- The mixture should be frothy and slightly increased in volume. If your yeast doesn’t foam… It is dead. So, you will have to discard it and start again.
- Sift the salt and remaining flour into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk, egg, butter and yeast mixture all at once. Using a flat-bladed knife, mix to a soft dough.
- Turn the dough into a ball and place in a large, lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until well risen.
- Preheat the oven to hot 210 C. Punch the dough down and knead again for 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Roll to 1 cm thick, then cut into rounds with a lightly floured plain 8 cm cutter and place on the trays.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and leave in a warm, draught-free place for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
POACHED EGG & PROSCIUTTO SANDWICH
For those treat yo’ self days, this delicious recipe is perfect for brunch. You can cook this simple and great recipe in no more than 15 minutes. This Brunch Sandwich with a runny poached egg, arugula, prosciutto and finished off with a delightful touch of garlic mayo will make your day!
Check out the recipe by Salt & Lavender.
ENGLISH MUFFIN FRENCH TOAST
A sweet alternative that will make a beautiful weekend breakfast! Using few ingredients and your favourite berries, you can cook this hearty recipe in no time. You can choose your toppings between syrup, berries and powdered sugar, or better yet complete the look using all!
Check out the recipe by The Comfort of Cooking.
MODEL BAKERY ENGLISH MUFFINS WITH WARMED CREAM CHEESE AND BOURBON-MAPLE BACON JAM
For those who want a challenge, this is the perfect recipe to create an amazing jam for your simple muffins. With a cook time of 2 hours, you can cook a delicious bourbon-maple bacon jam for 12. You can save your jam to easily recreate this aromatic recipe any time in no time.
Check out the recipe by For the Love of Lasagna.